Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sing it, baby...

My sister once said that she wished that life was a musical. She thought it would be so fun if the whole world could spontaneously break out in a song and dance that everybody knew. I agree, the world would be a much happier place if the world would sing together more. I am not a singer so much. D and I had been married only a week when the truth of his feelings toward my singing came out. We were sitting in church, singing a hymn, and D turned to me and said, "You don't sing very good do you?" No, evidently I don't. I have actually been told that I don't sing well throughout my entire life, even when I was forced to publicly sing while working at a karaoke restaurant. The words "tone deaf" have been used more than once.

Even so, I sing at home all the time. I sing whenever I have the radio on. I dance too, but that inability is a whole different story. I sing to the kids while making them meals or treats. Sometimes, I sing just to annoy them. I can't help it. I think it is funny! Usually the songs I sing are songs that are either completely made up by me, or they are real songs that I have changed the words to. I like to include the kids names in them when possible. That is why I make them up. Sometimes the songs that I make up are completely based on the feelings that I am having at the time or the activity that we are performing.  For example, I sing the following made up songs to Fuss almost daily.

Bathtime Song:
We wash your face, and wash your belly.
Wash your arms and legs.
We wash your toes and wash your fingers.
And wash your little dinger.
We wash your back and wash your bum.
We'll wash your hair, and then we're done.

Bedtime song when a fight is given:
Rock-a-bye, close your eyes.
Go to sleep 'til morning.
Rock-a-bye, don't you cry,
Because this is your last warning.

While my children think I am weird, I think I am fun! Really it is my opinion that matters...at least that is what I have decided.

4 comments:

Theresa C said...

Holy cow! I can't believe it's really you! I saw a link to your blog on your facebook (btw-thanks for letting me be your friend), and I had to follow it! It's been such a long time since we went out to see movies, eat at Brick Oven, and watched you drive around in circles in a parking lot. If you want to see my crazy children go here : thecarlilefamily.blogspot.com

:)

Matheson Family said...

This is so me! I too found out in church from my hubby that I can't hold a tone to save anyone's life, but that sure hasn't stopped me from singing. The only problem with this is my hubby and two small girls can hold a tune very well and it just makes me sound even worse if that is possible.

Monica said...

You are so funny. Your kids are lucky to have you (even if they don't realize it for another 20 years)!

Kacy said...

You seriously crack me up. I sing all the time. I love Karaoke. I can actually somewhat sing. However I do love to sing obnoxiously in the car to the kids or just around the house. I don't make up songs but I might steal yours. I was laughing so hard at them. Love it! Oh and I decided I am super fun too. And yes that is the only opinion that matters. I am my own best audience.