Monday, September 22, 2008

Don't share with me...

Our family has the habit of sharing food with each other.  If D orders food that I didn't, but upon seeing I think looks good, he gives me a taste and I do the same for him.  We also share with the boys, and they with us and each other.  If someone can't finish their fries, someone else will.  When Fuss eats only 1 of his chicken nuggets, the other 3 never go to waste.  When I cook, everyone gets the same thing anyway so no sharing is necessary.  However, during the day Fuss and I occasionally share breakfast or lunch, depending on what it is I decide we are having.  Because of this family ritual, Fuss also likes to share his snacks.  Recently every time he has a snack, he thinks that he has to feed a part of it to me.  There is nothing quite like chocolate covered fingers, drenching in saliva reaching into your mouth to give you a Reese's Pieces.  

Fuss has his favorite snacks, and all of them are messy.  He loves Cheetos, Kit Kats, Reese's Pieces, crackers and chips of nearly every variety, various fruits, and cheese.  His favorite thing to do with a bag of chips, crackers, or Cheetos is do dump the entire bag upside down on the floor and eat them from the ground.  My carpet has never been vacuumed more since he started this ritual that I cannot seem to stop.  It was when Fuss offered me a Cheeto with a hair on it that I realized 3 things: 1. I need to vacuum even more than I do.  2. Since it was long, I may be balding, and 3. I have got to somehow teach my 1 year old to stop sharing.  It isn't like he just offers either; he shoves the food in my mouth without even asking and without warning.  I will just be sitting there, and without any notice an item of food is shoved between my lips.  

Today, I was carefully watching Fuss eat his Cheetos from the bag in an attempt to prevent the inevitable dumping, Fuss took a bite of a Cheeto, licked the cheesy side of it, and then put the Cheeto back into the bag. This visualization taught me something.  Obviously, I can't share snacks with him at all, even if I do feed them to myself. 

No comments: