Friday, September 26, 2008

Girl hair...

I have girl hair. I know I do because a few years ago my niece told me that I did. We were sitting at the computer, me and Lou, playing a game that had colored blocks. When a purple block appeared on the screen, Lou, who was 3 years old at the time, declared that purple was her favorite color. Then an orange block appeared, and Lou told me that that was Oni's (her younger brother) favorite color. So when a green block appeared, I told her that green was my favorite color. Lou got a puzzled look on her face, then furrowed her brow and studied me for a little bit before she matter-of-factly stated, "That can't be your favorite color, because green is a boy color and you have girl hair." That was a big relief, but I still like green.

It has recently come to my attention that Lou is not the only child who uses hair to help her determine gender. During the great weight debacle of 2008, my sister and I have joined forces to help encourage and berate each other when necessary. During one of our conversations about how well she is doing and how well I am not, she mentioned that she had lost 8 pounds in 1 week since starting a new dance class. I was very excited for her, but I was not the only one. Her 5-year-old son also noticed her weightloss, and told her that she is "looking better, and when you lose all the fat on your tummy, you will look like my daddy. Except that you will still have long hair." Oh, what we all wouldn't give to look like our husbands with long hair. If I am going to look like D, I will have get some testosterone shots to improve my mustache and goatee...

Here is the thing, with my football player shoulders, and my thunderous thighs, I already look like a boy. I have a picture that D took of me riding behind Fuss on a carousel at the zoo. After seeing it, I was beyond extatic that I decided to get off of the zebra and stand to the side for the rest of the picture taking opportunities. I look like a middle-linebacker with girl hair. It almost made me want to grow my hair even longer, to feminise my box-shaped body. Then I saw our family picture from when I did have longer hair, and the flatness on the top of my head only accentuated the roundness of my second chin. Therefore, it has been decided that it is a good thing that I have short girl hair, and no facial hair...otherwise children all over the city might think Fuss has 2 daddys...

1 comment:

The Holdaway Family said...

You make me laugh everytime I read your blog! I too was blessed with a box shaped body, I have too much tummy and not enough butt! Oh well, I am trying, Bruce and I just started WW again two weeks ago...he has lost 10.2 lbs and me 4.5 lbs (after gaining 1 lb after the second week :()

One time I saw a picture of my self wearing a stocking cap, I felt like I was cute when the picture was taken but when I saw the picture itself I looked like a boy!!!! I guess because the cap was hiding my hair...