Thursday, October 2, 2008

No cavities...

So, yesterday I had my biannual visit to the dentist. Although I have a wonderful dentist, the best I have ever had in my life actually, I still get anxiety before I go for this visit. The morning of a dental visit I always use my Sonicare toothbrush to make sure that my teeth are as clean and shiny as possible. You would also think that I would floss, but I don't. I really like my dentist's office because everyone is so nice. You walk in and they greet you by name and with a smile. How they remember everyone's name, I don't know, but for the most part they do. There is no receptionist desk. There is no counter with a bell. There is just friendly people all dressed alike, smiling and telling me how nice it is to see me. If I was greeted like this at more places, I might leave the house a little more often.

Anyway, it is inevitable that every time I sit in the dentist's chair, someone is going to ask me how the flossing is going. I would like to tell them it is going just wonderfully, but I can't lie. It is like when the eye doctor asks me if I ever sleep in my contacts. I told her that I could say I didn't, but that she and I would both know I was lying. That story holds true for flossing as well. So, yesterday when the wonderfully nice hygenist, who can carry on a conversation with anyone who can't talk because they have dental tools and the hygenist's hands in their mouth better than you would imagine, asked me "how the flossing is going," I answered honestly, "Well, you should know since you were the last one to floss my teeth, which was about 6 months ago." I can't lie to her, which I kind of wish I could. So, I again promised to try to focus on flossing more. She even gave me 6 spools of floss to encourage me, but I can't promise that I will get it done. I just don't enjoy forcing a string in between my teeth and moving it back and forth to remove the gunk that I didn't know about, and really didn't want to know about. I prefer to think that brushing alone does a good enough job. I haven't had a cavity for years, and I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying that. (I am knocking on wood as I type this).

I realize that dental health is important, and a great smile is important too, but I promise no one is looking in between my teeth when I smile. Most of the time they are probably thinking, "Wow, you have a huge mouth!" Because I do. My family is known for their large heads. Fuss' pediatrician comments on Fuss' noggin every visit...because he is in a higher percentile for head size by about 20 points over height and weight. My nephew's head was so large that we used to laugh that the reason he fell over so much when trying to walk was because he was so top heavy. My dad can't wear normal hats, and I fall into the large noggin catagory too. My mouth is so wide that my large-headed nephew once tried to see if his head could fit inside of it. It didn't, but let's just say my smile is in proportion to my head size. I am probably the only one that dental people have to tell, "don't open quite so wide." I can fit my fist in my mouth, which means that the dental hygenist can easily fit both her hands in my mouth for easy accessibility for cleaning.

As I type this, I realize that I real have no excuse for not flossing daily, but most likely the hygenist will be the next person to floss my teeth...maybe.

1 comment:

Theresa C said...

I have missed your humor so much! I am happy that I can stalk you via your blog and get a good laugh in. Oh, and I'm not much of a flosser either. I would probably convert if they made chocolate flavored dental floss though.