Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm not buying...

I have started to wonder why I purchase expensive toys for Fuss or the other boys. We have so many toys lying around this house that no one even remembers what they have. This past weekend the boys went through the toy boxes in their bedrooms and in the family room to throw away the things that are either broken or that they are no longer interested in. Now I have 3 small garbage bags of McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's toys that no one wants...shocker. There is also the the lock box that Olie had to have, and numerous other odds and ends. However, there are still too many toys that haven't been touched in months in our house. I keep thinking I should have a garage sale, but I am not really sure that anyone would buy a half-deck of cards.

Fuss has more than enough toys for a one-year-old. He loves his Leap Frog music table that he got for Christmas. He also loves the Leap Frog fire truck that Nana gave him for his birthday. We are both learning so much. I know now all the lyrics to "I'm fire fighter Tad. Let's give a shout! If you see a fire, I'll put it out before you count to..." I am such a good counter now. I am also learning the alphabet in Spanish thanks to the musical table. The thing is, that Fuss loves the basketball hoop that he got as a hand-me-down from D's sister. Even more than that, he loves to play with toys that are regular household items, things I didn't have to spend more money on. He currently enjoys playing in the bathroom cupboards, which motivates me not to do the laundry and refill them with towels. He also loves to play with the step-stool from the kitchen that allows Olie, Skater, and Moo to reach the kitchen sink so I don't have to get all their drinks for them. Fuss thinks it is a hat, a bucket, or a chair that is meant for him to carry throughout the house for his own convenience. The other day he thought that the baby wash sitting on the edge of the tub looked fun, until he spilled it all over my bedroom carpet. At least he tried to clean it up, and he wouldn't let me help him once I had showed him how. Yesterday he discovered the joy of a spray bottle full of water. He drenched himself and my bed. I don't ever have to buy him a little table, because he has discovered that if he sits on one pedal of the elliptical machine, the other pedal is the perfect height for a table. He loves mirrors, pots and pans, measuring cups, and a variety of other household items, including the computers and cell phones. He would rather play with these things than his own actual toys, which is fine because the older boys think that Fuss' toys are more fun than what they have.

This doesn't make sense to me since Fuss loves his brothers' old toys, like the game boys. So, with Christmas lingering in the not-so-distant future, (yes, it is only 3 months away) I have to ask myself if it is worth purchasing more toys when the ones I have bought are hardly used, at least by the person it was intended for. I am thinking that maybe I should wrap up the toys we have in the house right now and rotate them throughout the boys. Maybe Moo would like the rocking horse, and I know Fuss would like his I-pod. I am also considering giving Fuss a new set of glasses and some matching serving dishes would be nice. Maybe Fuss would like a new sweater in my size also...

No comments: