Thursday, October 9, 2008

She's 29...

Today is my mom's birthday. According to her Facebook page, she turned 29 today. Yes, you read that right, my mom is on Facebook, and she listed the year she was born as 1979 on her Facebook page "so that no one would know how old she really is." Because evidently my mom has a lot of Facebook friends that don't know her personally? Who is she trying to fool, her family or her friends from high school or her kids friends that want to be her friend too. I am pretty sure that all of those people know that she was not born in 1979, especially her dad (yes, my grandpa has a Facebook page too)! That is one of the reasons why I love my mom, because she is one of those people who can do her own thing and not worry about what others think. We have often said that my mom is slightly insane (really, who isn't) but trying to convince everyone that she was born after she had graduated from high school, got married, and had 3 of her children is kind of pushing it, especially since the fourth child was born 5 months after she was.

My mom is a trooper. As someone who has a medical history the size of China, she really is an inspiration of a positive outlook. Many times doctors couldn't believe she was conscious, let alone attemptting to vacuum her house (she always likes to vacuum when she is feeling her worst). She recently (a few months ago) had surgery on her foot, and since she is crutches deficient (meaning horrible at using them, which is funny for us to watch) she has been confined to hopping (equally as funny to watch) or using a wheelchair. And since her house is not really wheelchair accessible, especially during the remodel of her kitchen, she has mostly been confined to her bedroom, and her bed. A great example of my mom's positive outlook can be shown in her response to one of my favorite emails, a "getting to know you one." The question was: How do you relax? My mom's answer was: "It is hard to relax from resting. I usually just fluff my pillows, prop myself up, and pour a fresh Pepsi."

My mom is a wonderful woman who taught us how to laugh through basically everything, good and bad. If you can't find the joy in life, what is the purpose. Therefore, I believe she deserves to be 29 for as long as she wants! We love you, Mom! Happy Birthday!!

2 comments:

Matheson Family said...

I always remember you mom as funny and easy to talk to. My mom always says she is 29 on her birthday. I asked her how she could have children older than she is, she responded then I guess your not my children anymore. Oh how we love our mothers!

Brianna said...

I remember you telling me about your Mom! She seems wonderful!!!