Monday, October 6, 2008

Our joy in the journey...

Yesterday while listening to the advice of our beloved prophet, Thomas S. Monson, during General Conference, I had to take a moment to determine if our family really takes "joy in the journey." I don't want to have the hopes of tomorrow be shadowed by the emptiness of yesterday. Really, I don't. I had made our family watch conference in mine and D's bedroom because it is more comfortable to me than our family room couches. So, as I sat in my recliner, completely comfortable, I looked over to my bed where D, Olie, Skater, and Moo were lying side by side. Fuss was sleeping in his room, which really made things more joyful overall for everyone at that moment. I thought about how our boys who like to eat nonstop had eaten dinner with their mom on Thursday night and then stopped for a hamburger with their dad on the way to our house. That is joyful for them, not so much for me since I had dinner waiting at home. Friday night the older boys had slept over at D's parents' house, which was joyful for all of us. Saturday we had gone to lunch with my family to celebrate my graduation from the medical transcription program. That was joyful as well. As "joyful" as our journey has been, we could put a lot more effort into it.

We did let the kids basically eat whatever they wanted for dinner on Saturday. D took the kids to the store and let them choose what to eat while watched a movie together. My boys came back with dinner, which I think for kids is very joyful. We had Laffy Taffy, Gummy Worms, Smarties, Lemonheads, and Carrots with light ranch dip (that one was my choice). We are totally winning the "fun parents of the year" award. As conference ended, and Fuss woke up, I realized that the peacefulness that had just filled my home would soon be over. Fights would begin again. There would surely be complaining of some sort. I was now standing in the doorway of my bedroom. D was in the recliner with Fuss on his lap. Olie was sitting on the floor leaning up against the recliner. Skater was on my bed. Moo had disappeared. So, I picked up a pillow and started smacking the boys. As the boys smacked me back with other pillows from my bed, the giggling began. D and Fuss just sat there and watched as Moo appeared and joined forces with his brothers. Sadly, my joy lasted longer than my energy and I threw myself on the bed, and continued to get pummeled by the pillows. Then D and I traded off. I took Fuss, who was laughing hysterically, and D took the pillow from me. I knew that had created joy when even though D had Skater pinned on the bed under one arm and Olie under the other, all 3 of the boys continued to attempt beating him with the pillows.

And I made an executive decision (as an executive in our home) that we definitely need to have more pillow fights in our house!

2 comments:

Erica said...

You've got a couple blondies there! That is a cute group of boys!!

Monica said...

We need to work on this too. After conference we wanted to go on a walk, but, because of the rain we stayed in and played hide and go seek and duck duck goose. The kids were in heaven! Your kids are adorable!