Thursday, August 28, 2008

True Love...

I know that I am not Fuss' first love. I know this because every time he hears the keys in the door he runs to it. He wants to be there when D opens the door, and from 5:30 until bedtime Fuss is D's shadow. I love that my son adores his father so much, but he doesn't have to stop spending time with me just because his daddy comes home! Even still, I come after D and I can accept it, but I'm not even second in his life either. There is a little girl at church that Fuss has a crush on...she comes before me too. I'm going to call her Lovey. Lovey is 3 and beautiful. She has blonde hair and crystal blue eyes, and Fuss loves to watch her. When there are toys, books, or snacks to be had, Fuss is in that no-sharing stage, except for when sharing is with Lovey. He will hand over whatever he has and then follow her to wherever she takes it. It is fun to watch my son be so twitter-pated at such a young age. He truly is smitten. And I do approve of the girl, even though he is betrothed to another. Being third to his love for D and Lovey is fine with me. The crush I have a hard time being after is his love for 4-wheelers. As soon as Fuss has access to the garage, he makes a run for it and does his best to climb on a 4-wheeler. It doesn't matter if it is the large, real one or the motorized toy one that is Moo's or the mini-motorized one that Fuss has been borrowing from Angel. When a 4-wheeler is involved Fuss is truly in love. He loves them so much that he is even willing to wear a helmet to go for a ride.

It took only seconds for Fuss to figure out how to maneuver the mini-wheeler and run into whatever gets in his way. Moo's is a little bigger, so when he climbs on to it he just makes "vroom, vroom" noises, and pretends to steer the wheeler around his imaginary trails. I have to wonder where he learned to make these noises--I think with boys it is in their genes. Whenever Fuss has the chance to go on a ride with D and/or I on the largest of them all, he grins from ear to ear, and holds on tight to either the 4-wheeler or the back of D's shirt (only when I am sitting behind D with Fuss in between us). I knew that Fuss has a knack for adventure due to the fact that he tries to stand on a skateboard or ride a scooter whenever he has access to one, and has since he could walk, but his 4-wheeler obsession is getting ridiculous. At least he knows at an early age that protective gear is required for any of these activities and he willingly wears it, unlike his brothers who unwillingly are forced to wear it.
It was this week that I realized how true Fuss' love for the 4-wheelers was when D decided that it was time to wash the red dirt from our recent trip (3-weeks ago) off of the 4-wheeler. My son who can't sit still long enough to have his diaper changed, let alone participate in a long and tedious project, spent at least 20 minutes helping his dad wash and scrub the machine. No matter what I did his attention was focused on finishing his project. All the while I was ignored, and focus was on his true love... I can't help but wonder where the attention would have been if Lovey had walked by.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey - remember me?? :) I can't believe I stumbled upon your blog - i found it through Carly's blog. Your little boy is ADORABLE!! Glad to hear things are going well for you. If you're interested, we have a blog as well. Email me: kristi.c.law@gmail.com if you'd like to be invited to our blog.

Elizabeth said...

Fuss is so cute. I can't believe he is into 4 wheelers already! With Adrianne it is her shoes, Rachel and Bethy are into princesses and Sam is into trains but they were all a couple years old when these obsessions began. It is so fun to see pictures of the funny and sometimes crazy, ridiculous things your kids get into. We had to take Megan to kidscare once to make sure she didn't swallow a dime. You can be sure I have found several different things in her diapers ever since she began to crawl around.