Friday, August 15, 2008

That was out loud...

Angel and I were recently discussing the annoying habits of our children.  She mentioned that one of her children does not rinse the sink after brushing her teeth leaving a sink full of spit.  I replied that at least her children brush their teeth.  Whenever we have the older boys I remind them several times a day to brush their teeth, and inevitably whenever we go somewhere I will ask one of them if they actually did brush their teeth and the answer is usually, "I forgot."  What I would like to know is how did they forget?  Was it during the short walk from the kitchen to the bathroom after breakfast, or were they doing their bathroom thing and they didn't notice the brushes and toothpaste that they left out the night before?  Either way they "forget."  I think children choose to ignore their parents just to test out what the repercussions will be.  As a parent, I am not sure what the repercussions for anything should be...I make it up as I go along, which can be very complicated since the older boys don't actually "live" here, so I have to remember what I have done so that I can be consistent on their next visit--I need to keep a journal.  

My daily struggle is with Fuss though.  He hit the terrible twos at about 8 months.  My aunt recently referred to him as "high-maintenance."  To me that is putting it lightly--he is ultimate maintenance!  Fuss is going nonstop from the minute he wakes up to the minute he falls asleep.  It is a constant test of my patience and ability to stay a step ahead of him.  The most exciting part for me is that every day he learns a new trick--from climbing up the magazine rack to get on top of the toilet, or opening the toilet itself and throwing things in (I have fished out 4 binkis in the last 2 days), or dropping his toothbrush down the air conditioning vents he loves to lift out of the floor, I have to be on the go from Fuss up to Fuss down!  And yet I still don't get enough exercise in a day to lose the weight... The thing about Fuss is that he still listens to me...sometimes. He gives me a sarcastic little smile to make sure that I know that he knows exactly what he is doing, but he does listen.  The older boys choose to ignore--a trait I know is coming from Fuss before too long.  My sister once suggested that when Fuss bites me in anger (I know--terror child), that I bite him back. So, I did.  Fuss has never bitten me again.  Therefore, I decided to take the same approach with the older boys.  One day while the boys were here I called them for lunch and Olie was the only one that came.  I called for Skater and Moo two more times, nothing.  Olie even ran upstairs and told them loudly enough for me to hear that it was time for lunch.  Still nothing, not even a response or acknowledgment.  So, I made lunch for me, Olie, and Fuss.  About an hour later Moo and Skater came downstairs and asked me what we were having for lunch.  I told them it was over and that they had missed it since they ignored my calls to them.  "But we didn't hear you!" was the response and pleading, "What can we eat?"  I simply replied, "Dinner.  In a few hours."  I haven't been ignored since...at least whenever meals are involved, and that is progress! 

No comments: