Monday, August 11, 2008

Now that's fun...

While traveling 4 hours in a caravan of 6 cars, my family discovered the best way to get other drivers to notice you--have 1 of the trucks tow a trailer that contains 10 4-wheelers, 1 motor-cycle, and 8 bicycles. Pretty much everyone stops to stare, count, and then pick up their jaws. When we were loading this alignment of travel accessories, KM asked, "What do you think people will think when they see us on the road?" I replied, "That we are a dealership." Gillette replied, "That we are rich." To these two incorrect answers, KM gave us the truth, "That we are going to have fun!" She is very smart. If you have never had the chance to visit Capital Reef or Escalante in Southern Utah, I highly suggest that you do (in case my opinion matters).
Our real adventures started on Thursday morning when my parents told us they had rented a 4-wheel drive vehicle and wanted to take an unpaved tour through the Cathedral Valley. I don't normally love drives where there is a chance that the car I am in can tumble off of the road and down the steep embankment that is right next to us, but D does...so, I went. Since I did go, I now know that I do not love rides where there is a chance that the car I am in can tumble off the road and down the steep embankment that is right next to us even more when it is raining. The clincher for me on this one was when we were on one of the above mentioned roads and had to manuever around a large rock that had rolled down the hillside. My grandpa (whose truck D, Fuss, and I were in) mentioned that he didn't think that my brother-in-law's larger truck would make it around the rock and it would have to be moved. My grandpa felf this way because he had "felt the shoulder of the road give way a bit as we were going around" the rock. This was not something that I needed to know, especially since we were coming up on more switchbacks and the rain storm was gaining on us! I let my grandpa know through my tears that it was ok to keep some information to himself. Although not my favorite adventure, the land is beautiful, and we were fortunate enough to mostly keep ahead of the massive storm that was moving in on us. Upon our return my dad was informed just how lucky we were since the area we had just been in is known for flash flooding. Again, something I did not need to know!

Friday was a safer day. We decided to take a hike on an unknown trail to an unknown destination. So, we spontaneously left from our cabin and started walking up the road--this is not what I would typically consider a hike, but it was unpaved and uphill so it was a hike. At the top of the hill we detoured from the road to a 4-wheeling path and continued on. While Fuss slept in the cabin with my parents babysitting, Agee had all 4 of her kids with her (ages 6, 5, 3, and 5 months) so she was not in the mood to take a very long and unplanned hike. The entire time we were walking we teased her that we were just going to the red rocks we could see in the distance, which we actually thought would be impossible to reach. After hiking for 1.5 miles, we reached the red rocks. Agee was the last one in and upon arrival announced her disapproval that we had kept our promise. On the way back to the cabin I was walking behind my nieces, Lou and Norman. As I got closer to them on an uphill part of the trail I announced that they were going to have to move out of the way since I had some momentum going. Lou looked puzzled and asked if that meant that I needed to go to the bathroom. If it was going to make her move or walk faster, then yes, that is what it means. Thankfully Agee survived and we arrived back at the cabin before Fuss awoke and minutes before another massive rain storm (during which we took a short 4-wheeler ride--we like the water I guess).

Saturday was by far our most adventurous (and rainless) day. KM researched and planned a hike that we felt would be enjoyable for all to go on. It was listed as "a very scenic day hike that follows Calf Creek. A trail guide brochure is provided at the trailhead with numbered markers along the route indicating points of interest....The trail is
well cut, with very little rise and fall although sandy in a few areas. The trail end is at the beautiful Lower Calf Creek waterfall, 126 feet high, falling into a lovely pond." This description sounds amazing and so misleading! I don't know who the lady that wrote it was, but "very little rise and fall?" She must live in the freaking Alps, possibly even on Mt. Kilimanjaro. Maybe I am just a wuss, or maybe she wasn't packing a 25 pound 1 year old on the 6 mile hike (3 each way--and yes, me in all my wussiness packed Fuss in the hiking backpack 1 way...mostly). We started the hike as a group of 47 and ended as smaller groups of 8 to 1. It was beautiful, but when you are hauling 20 children ages 8 and younger up a hillside (and I do mean hauling because if you were young would you walk 6 miles voluntarily?) there is no time to stop and enjoy the scenery...if you do, you may lose one off the narrow path and down the slippery slopes. Luckily we only had 1 fall, my aunt (the only aunt to brave the hike) slipped while trying to prove her quick and youthful descent methods. Through the exercise of this hike, I earned enough weight watchers points for a pink cookie, which is like 12 continuous hours of exercise. I do have to say though, that at the end of this all-day hike, there is a beautiful waterfall with a freezing (as in bucket of glacier ice) cold pond to refresh you and wash the sweat away. However, if you do make it to Calf Creek, make sure that you bring an extra set of shorts to hike the 3 lovely miles back, or you will find yourself regretting it for the next several days.
The week ended with my immediate family 4-wheeling to Agee's beloved red rocks, babies and all--and yes, we are very cautious. It was pointed out though that while D and I were the only adults wearing helmets on this short adventure, our child was the only one without a helmet that was made for 4-wheeling (he did have a helmet on--it was just bike helmet though). I am such a good parent! I also had the opportunity to learn about the negotiation skills of my 6-year-old nephew, Booga. During the week sometime Fuss had lost the binki, which is a horrible loss for everyone around. As Fuss was screaming and I was helping make dinner, I offered $1 to anyone who could find Fuss' binki. Booga found it shortly after and I promised him $1 as soon as I could get to it. Sunday came and I still hadn't given Booga his dollar, so D took $1 in quarters out of my stash of stuff in our room, and gave it to him. Afterwards, Booga came over to me and asked for his dollar. I told him that he had gotten a dollar already. He told me (in his gruff little voice that sounds like he is on the verge of losing it), "No, you promised me a dollar. You didn't give me a dollar, D did. So, you still owe me a dollar." How do you argue with that, especially when he gave his sister half of it since she saw the binki at the same time he did; he just got to it first.


Four days, 56 people (and that's not even all of us), lots of great food, 180,000,000 rain drops, including a delicious barbeque in the rain, 15 dutch ovens (in 1 meal), and KM was right---A LOT of fun! And the best part of all...we still like each other! When I told my grandma (who has had a stroke and doesn't talk too much) at dinner one night, that she had started all of this chaos...she shook her head, then put her head in her hand and said, "I know, I know." Hey, you have to blame someone...

3 comments:

skcoe said...

HOW FUN!!!! I can only imagine the stares you must have gotten.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your weekend was a lot of fun!! Poor Agee, I hope she is ok. She sounds like such a trooper. She needs lots of Kudos, going anywhere with all those kids (that's almost crazy). I have to agree with Booga that you owe him a dollar since it was not you that gave it to him. that is only fair. Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation with all your family. Next time don't be so hard on agee, afterall she sounds like the rock of your family and those can be hard shoes to fill.
AG

Elizabeth said...

Wow, sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Our family hasn't all gotten together like that in several years. Everyone's too old and busy but I sure miss those days. I love reading your blog. You are so funny.