Monday, August 25, 2008

Just a haircut...

During part of my I-don't-know-what-I-should-be-when-I-grow-up stage of life, which I am still in by the way, I went to cosmetology school. The reason that I paid a couple of thousand of dollars (or whatever the cost was) to go to a school to get training that I would never use as a vocation, was because of Lois. One day Lois told me that she wanted to be a cosmetologist, but she didn't want to go to school alone so we should go together, and we did. I had never before, and really never since, considered working as a cosmetologist, but I could if I ever decided I wanted to. Now, I have this skill that I use solely to benefit family, my friends, and on occasion...myself. Yes, it is true. I broke the code of cosmetologists world wide and I cut my own hair. I colored it too, which isn't that difficult compared to cutting your own hair. I had to do it, because I haven't had the chance to find a stylist of my very own that I love and trust since moving to my current city...three years ago. I have been very busy for the past 3 years! It was when my brother-in-law lovingly pointed out my graying hairs, several of them, that I knew that it was past time for me to get my hair taken care of. Since it needed to be taken care of immediately, I still didn't have the chance to find a stylist. So, I decided to color my own hair, and you can't color your hair without a cut to go with it. Cuts and colors go hand in hand like peanut butter and chocolate--both are great on their own, but much better together.  I like things to be complete so, I cut it too. Since I can't really see the back of my hair, I had to have D tell me if it was straight (once it was done), and overall there are some flaws, but it is as good as I could get it myself. I have to tell you that cutting your own hair is one of the hardest things that I have ever done, especially in the state of a long bobbish style--it matters if it is straight. The good news is though that my arms got a bit of a workout, and I think that my triceps are more toned than they have been in years, just from this one haircut. Most importantly of all, the job was done, and oddly I could feel better about my hair when in public (even if I shouldn't)!

While in the haircutting mood, I also decided that it was time for my little Fuss to have his 7th haircut...that's right barely 15 months old and has had to have 7 haircuts (he gets it from his dad)! Although I have given Fuss all of his haircuts, this is not one that I am as pleased with as I have been with previous ones. Lucy has this horrible tendency to shave the older boys heads, which I don't think is a very flattering look for them (for some kids yes, but not for ours). I have always made comments (not in front of them of course) about how much better the boys look when their hair has a little style to it. Anyway, the comments have come back to haunt me. Let's just say that I was cutting Fuss' hair, and since Fuss is one year old, that doesn't constitute a still sitting session. In other words, he moved. And what does a stylist do when their client moves while scissors or clippers are in the middle of being used and the mistake cannot be otherwise corrected...therefore, Fuss' head is now shaved to a #4 on top and a #2 in the back...in case that means anything to anyone. And honestly, I don't love it almost as much as I don't love it when Lucy does it to Olie, Skater, and Moo. With Fuss I don't love it for many reasons. One being that it isn't the best look for him either (they must get it from their dad). Another being that when I am rocking him to sleep I have nothing to run my fingers through as I gently scratch the top of his head, which he loves. And the third being that it has moved his appearance from baby/toddler to toddler/boy, and I don't like it! My little boy is growing up and it is happening too fast! People keep telling me "it is only a haircut" when I mention I don't love the look, but it is sooo much more than that. It is a milestone. It really is bittersweet. It is just a haircut...but it is the haircut that changed by baby to a little boy... Just a haircut...I wish!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I know what you mean. The first time I cut Samuel's hair he turned into a little boy and was no longer ther little baby I so adored. I still adore him but it's different now, I mean he's 7. I like your hair and fuss's even though his didn't turn out the way you wanted.