Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Battle wounds...

I think that Fuss is at that point in his young life that he will always have some sort of bump or bruise. Yesterday he refused to walk on his foot and any time he would put any weight on it he would whimper and cry. Now, my child bumps and falls and scratches and all sorts of things all the time without crying. The only time he really cries is when he is really hurting. So, of course I was worried. I called Angel to see if she could come watch him limp around to see what her opinion was. I needed a second opinion on whether or not his unseen injury was doctor worthy. I had pushed and squeezed and poked his entire foot and leg. Instead of whimpering in pain when I hit the spot that was hurting him, he laughed the entire time. Unfortunately, Angel wasn't home, but suggested that I walk next door to her house to see if he would run around like he was in charge of the place like he does every time we go over there. As soon as her daughter opened the door, I tried to set Fuss on the floor. He cried and lifted his feet and refused to be put down. Angels daughter asked immediately if there was something wrong with his foot and if I was taking him to the doctor. If a 12 year old notices, then it is probably doctor worthy. Since I knew he wasn't faking it, because how would a 1-year-old know how to fake limp, I decided the doctor was the only choice. So, our monthly visit to the after hours Kids Care began. Fuss immediately began hobbling around the waiting room, the consultation desk, the exam room, the x-ray room, and then the exam room again. Following the x-rays the doctor told us that there was swelling around his ankle and that he had a sprained ankle. Great! How does a 1-year-old sprain his ankle? I have no idea! How does a mom not know that her 1-year-old has sprained his ankle? For the rest of the night and all day today, Fuss has hobbled around walking only on the toes of his right foot with the tiniest Ace bandage I have ever seen wrapped around his little foot. He whimpers when he slides down the bed and lands on it, but other than that it hasn't slowed him down one bit! 

Tonight, D and I went out to dinner. When we returned to D's parents' house to pick up Fuss, he was crying. He had fallen off one of the kitchen chairs and hit his head, but no one knew where. As apologies were flying towards me and Fuss, I had to point out the big bruise in the middle of his forehead from falling Halloween morning, the red mark next to it from hitting his head on the corner of my laptop screen today, the purple toe nail from dropping a can of hairspray on it last week, his purple fingernail from slamming his finger in a drawer last month, the scratch on his chin from falling on our neighbors porch Halloween night, the scratch down his arm from me picking him up with a broken fingernail that I was unaware of, the 2 scabs on the other elbow from mosquito bites, the red mark on his cheek that I think maybe a zit, but I don't know, and the sprained ankle...all of which happened while he was in my care. I can't really be judgmental about a fall from a chair. One thing is for sure...Fuss inherited my lack of coordination! 

6 comments:

Kati said...

poor little guy. I remember those phases. Sometimes I worried because just when one injury would heal, another was bound to happen. I worried someone would turn me in for abuse. Fortunately, any mother can tell you it has happened to their kid too. He is so cute. I wanna see pictures from Halloween!

Theresa C said...

I wish I could say that he will grow out of this.... but Haylee is 8 and still super accident prone! I am to a point where I don't feel guilty for all her bumps and bruises anymore. Sometimes I feel kinda guilty for laughing when she biffs it though. :)

Missy said...

Ahhh! Poor little guy! I hope his little ankle gets better quick!

Erica said...

I'm sorry your little one got hurt....that really is the cutest little sprained ankle I think I've ever seen though!

Kacy said...

Poor little guy. That is soooo sad. I have not had to deal with any stitches or broken bones yet. Knock on wood. Dawson is 6 so I have been lucky. He also does some crazy things that you would think would result in some sort of consequence.

Rebecca said...

Wow! I'm out of it for a couple of weeks, behind on blogging and reading blogs, and I come back to this! Poor little Kaleb!! {{{hugs}}}