Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy helper...

Fuss is to that age where he wants to not only say everything I do, but he wants to do everything I do too. I have actually encouraged this behavior with compliments like, "What a bigger helper you are! You are such a good boy!" This is said in my high pitched mommy voice. He usually smiles his proudest smile and claps his hands in excitement. It really didn't take long for him to catch on to liking compliments. Now, he helps me in whatever I do. My suggestion for those parent's whose toddlers are not "big helpers" is don't worry about it. Be grateful that they don't have the desire to "help" you with every task you have throughout the day.

Yesterday, Fuss dropped his freshly poured sippy of Sunny-D on the tile floor of the kitchen.  At the moment that bright orange fluid was creating a small reservoir on my tile, I was wishing that I hadn't filled the cup so full. I thought that if I filled the cup to capacity, I would have a longer break from getting drinks than if I were to give him just a small cup or not filled the larger one. Either way, there was a huge mess that was getting bigger by the second. I immediately grabbed 2 dishcloths out of the drawer and began mopping it up. It was a 2 towel job! As I was doing this, Fuss grabbed himself 2 dishcloths out of the drawer and decided to help me mop. He threw them on the ground and stepped on them and dragged the cloths over the mess with his foot. Yes, I am lazy enough to mop up the drink with a towel and my foot, and I am teaching my son to be too. Then he used his hands to finish up the job until everything was nice and dry. Actually, I had dried the floor, he just made sure it was truly dry. Not a big deal that I now had to wash 4 dishcloths instead of just 2 more, until later last night. As I was cooking dinner I turned around to find Fuss kneeling on the floor wiping up messes with a dishcloth in each hand. There was also a pile of previously used towels that he had also used to "mop" my kitchen floor. So, now instead of only 4 dishcloths, I have a whole basket full to wash! At least I have a full load to do so they won't be sitting in the basket for too long!

Fuss also likes to "help" me pick up his books, toys, snacks, sippy cups, etc. He picks things up and throws them in the bathtub. Everything goes in the bathtub at our house. If ever there is something that I can't find where it belongs, I go to the tub (or the side of D's bed now that I know that one). 

The latest of Fuss' helping moments that I find oh so helpful came this morning. I was minding my own business and using the restroom. Fuss had been happily playing until he saw me on the pot. He came running towards me just as I was finishing up. I leaned down and grabbed my underwear from my ankles and pulled it up. Fuss immediately leaned over and grabbed the top of my sweats and started to yank them up. I took the waistband thinking he would let me finish the job, but he didn't let go until they were snugly sitting on my hips. I started laughing at this attempt to help me do everything, and I really do think that pulling up my pants for me completes the list of everything. Fuss looked up at me with his proudest grin and said, "Doo boy!" Then clapped his hands in satisfaction. How can I refuse help like that?

3 comments:

Kati said...

SO CUTE! He sounds like such a fun little boy.

Monica said...

Just wait until he tries to help you wipe! So fun!

Theresa C said...

Oh my gosh... I laughed so hard when I read this! Isn't it nice to know that you don't have to be old and senile before he'll take care of you? What a cutie :)