Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Windy, overcast day...let's swim???



I had a brilliant idea. Fuss loves the bathtub (we call it his baffins), so I thought he would love a swimming pool...of course, I was right! I bought him a little wading pool, because whenever you are unemployed you should frivolously spend money on things like wading pools. I justified it in my mind by telling myself it was an extension of his birthday present. D didn't agree, he just rolled his eyes, crossed his arms, and said whatever. But, because I am such a great mother, I decided that our activity today would be "swimming" in the front yard. So, while Fuss sat in his highchair eating a delicious lunch of cottage cheese and cheetos, I blew and I blew and I blew his pool up. It took a lot of air for a 2 ring pool with a "shade" rainbow. This pool was so small that I could almost give it a hug with my arms completely around it. At first I thought it might be fun to invite the little neighbor boy over, but after seeing it all blown up there was no room for a second child. I opened the door to take the pool outside and the clouds started to roll over the top of our house as if to mock my hard work. I didn't really care...like the great mother I am (no sarcasm implied) I filled the pool with freezing cold water from the hose and put my child right in the middle of it, clouds and all. I know, you are probably thinking "poor abused child" but that is so not the case! Fuss loved the pool! He didn't care that it was too cold for my feet to be in. He didn't care that even without the rainbow shade cover, there would have been no sun in sight. He didn't care that the light breeze was quickly turning to high winds. He loved it! He even discovered the joy of putting your face in the water...nothing says fun more than a blue, snot-covered frozen face.

I do need to know though, is manipulation genetic or is it learned? Fuss has both D and I wrapped around his little, tiny fingers so tightly. For example, while lying on our bed and trying to get my attention, he threw his sippy cup on the floor. Before I could even get up to pick it up for him we made eye contact, he pointed to the purposefully distant sippy, and innocently said "danu" (thank you for those of you that don't speak Fuss). He knew that I would get up out of my chair, walk over, pick up his sippy, and give it to him. He didn't even question it in his little head. He controls us with his cute expressions.
His "Fuss face" lets us know that he is frustrated.
His "Whoa is me" face tells us he is upset or saddened. His raised eyebrows show us that he is curious about how we will react to whatever it is he has done. He teases us by offering whatever he is holding and then pulling it away at the last second. He turns to grab something he knows he shouldn't while watching us out of the corner of his eye. He is so very much in the copy-cat stage of life...which makes me very aware of everything that I do, which, by the way, is not an activity that I enjoy so much. I used to think that I was in control, but now I realize that I am so not in control of anything...he even gets to choose if he wants to swim in the arctic that I created in the front yard...

No comments: