Monday, June 16, 2008

Has anyone seen Fuss' turtle....

I don't remember how it has come to this, but my day has succombed to looking for a plastic turtle wearing little black sunglasses. When your 1 year old's favorite bath time toy is missing, a person will go to great lengths to try to retrieve this "precious" $3 toy. I know we had it when the boys were running through the sprinklers and Fuss was in his pool. When I brought Fuss inside, I grabbed the turtle from the pool and wrapped it in the towel (the white towel--that shouldn't have been brought out for an outdoor towel, but since it was I used it on Fuss, knowing he wouldn't get it too dirty). I changed Fuss' clothes and started rocking him to sleep. Upon nearing the door, I heard Moo crying in the garage. I went out to find Skater with my white, clean, protected towel lying on the ground. Moo was crying because my white towel (the largest towels we have that are for the master bathroom, the ones my mom gave us for Christmas) was bigger than the one that he had. I quickly reprimand Skater and took my towel back...the turtle that was once inside has not been seen since. Whether he was accidentally thrown away, or discarded unnoticed as the towel was tossed about, I will never know, and my little Fuss will continue to look for the "trrrtl" when he gets in the bathtub. So, I spent the day looking through toy boxes, under beds, through the laundry, in the yard...no "trrrtl" to be found anywhere.
I remember the day, about 2 months ago, that my days were consumed with getting reports in, training, and "holding people accountable." In the grand scheme of things, I would rather look for a little green and blue turtle with sunglasses, because what I do now truly effects lives. You can go to an office or a store and "develop" adult employees, but when they say you're mean and they hate you, it's because you are most of the time. When you get to stay home and "develop" your children, when they say your mean and they hate you, it's because you love them so much you want them to have and be the best. It's because you are right where you want to be and doing what you need to be doing. I think the world is a better place because of mothers. My husband's solution to the turtle problem is to just buy another one (which is what we will end up doing), and even though my 1 year old may not understand that I have spent the day looking for his turtle now, someday he will realize that I will have spent my life looking out for what is important to him. That truly is my goal, whether it be my "own" children or my step-children, I want to be the one (or one of the ones) that is always there looking out for them.

1 comment:

Mitchell Maddness said...

Fantastic story! It gives me comfort in all the crazy things that go on here in our chaotic home as well! I'm sure you are doing a fantastic job molding your boys to be strong adult men!