Monday, February 16, 2009

A new babysitter...

So obviously I am not good at keeping New Year's resolutions no matter when I set them...so far I am failing at all of them, not just the blog writing one...I am still working on it...and trying to do better!

Recently Fuss has begun to enjoy the television. This has both its good points and its bad. The good comes because when he wakes up at 5:00 or 6:00 am and D and I am working while D is still sleeping, we have found that Fuss will lie sideways in the recliner in our room with his blanket, binki, sippy, and remote and watch the Disney channel, which is our new built in babysitter. I realize that this does not make us parents of the year, but it does keep us sane at these early morning hours. I have also been known to lock him in our room with me for 20 minutes or so and allow him to watch TV while I get a desperately needed little power nap. The guilt I have from not spending "quality time" with my son is extensive, but not enough for me to not get the nap, which is only done on the most desperate of days. Another "good" is that Fuss really is learning things from "Little Einsteins" "Imagination Movers" and possibly even "Handy Manny" even though he has yet to start making repairs around the house in Spanish...I am still hopeful! 

The "bad" part of his new TV addiction is that now when he wakes up the first thing he says after, "Ba! Mom, Ba!!" (meaning he wants a drink) is "On!" while pointing at the TV. Even though he rarely sits still and watches an entire show other than the early morning hours, it still has become a constant background noise in our house. I have to turn it off to get him to read stories or sing songs with me, which used to be his favorite pass time activity. The worst "bad" of all though is that I have to truly ask myself how it came about that these grown men are singing and dancing for my son. Why are these shows that drive me crazy with their cheesy songs and ridiculous scenes all performed by men? Is it that women have too much dignity to put on clown "pantaloons" and wait for another grown up to guess what they are dressed up as, or is it that no woman in their right mind would hang out in a warehouse with a mouse as a friend and so many rooms that you would never have time to clean them all? Either way, they drive me crazy. The sad reality of the whole thing is that my entire family is getting sucked into the Disney prison of no escape. It seems to be all we can do to change the channel to dramatic TV shows...Even I have traded in "Ellen" for "Hannah  Montana" and "Suite Life" is definitely better than watching the evening news. 

6 comments:

Theresa C said...

We've been trapped in the Disney prison for quite a few years now, and I hope we will be up for parole soon. Don't feel too guilty for using the tv as a babysitter because all Moms do it :)

Anonymous said...

My little guy too loves the TV. He says 'up' meaning put him on my bed, then he points to the TV and says 'emo (elmo) or tain (train)'- those are the only things that keep his interest, but it has been nice that he will sit there and watch it while i shower and stuff.

Lisa R. said...

You are just too funny! Don't feel bad becasue I know you are not the only mom who locks the kids in the room with the t.v. on and has a nap. Sometimes you just need a nap and it is better than letting them roam around the house and do who knows what:) We too have been sucked in by the disney channel and you have brought up a good point about them all being men, what is up with that?

The Brady Bunch said...

Hey, look at the bright side. Disney isn't the worst thing that could happen to you. (Cause DISNEY IS THE BEST!!!!!) But it could be worse...Barney, Power Rangers, etc...so at least you're getting better than a lot of other stuff on the tv.

Rebecca said...

I agree with Lisa, you're not the only one who uses the TV like that! :) TV saves my sanity quite often... always has! So I guess none of us will be "parents of the year" huh?

Jackie said...

Hey...I agree...kids can learn a lot from tv. My kid was sick today and watched several hours of spongebob squarepants...I guess I'm in the Nick Jr. Prison. So Spongebob might not teach much but it made her feel better.